Well it’s been a while since the last post, the intervening time having been rather hectic with work as well as the usual distractions around Christmas, with endless grief of a house move also going on, most of that seems a long time ago now, although relocation is ongoing! This all left me feeling rather uninspired at the back end of last year, but things have got a bit better recently, so what’s been going on Railway wise?
November saw us exhibiting Six Quarters at Solrail in Workington, with a prototype research trip built in for good measure… more of that in a follow up post though – there’s a bit much to get in here!
Christmas brought me a couple of packs of NCB IU HUO hoppers from Accurascale, taking advantage of the substantial saving available in their Black Friday sale. These are a bit modern for us in NCB livery, so will be repainted into BR livery in good time. Also arriving was a Dapol Bolster E, which I decided to weather taking advantage of a bit of time off:
This really is a lovely model, Dapol have pulled the stops out and it shows they are right back in the game having shaken the legacy of a certain someone… I backdated slightly removing the TOPS code but otherwise it’s just had the detail bits from the box fitted.
This inspired me to finally get started on the Rumney Models detailing kit for the older Lima model, which I’ve had sat around for a couple of years….
I’d not tackled anything like this before so it was an interesting challenge. I struggled with a few bits but it’s a well designed kit and patience turned out something looking half decent, certainly a huge improvement on the original!
I think the running plate is the only bit left of the original model, so it’s been quite an in depth project – I now quite fancy doing another but with a bit of a different prototype in mind. I should probably get this one painted and finished first though.
As a bit of a side project, I’ve dug out a model that’s been sat in the projects draw for about 2 years since I last touched it…. an interpretation of a Diamond T that I found a photo of in service with the NCB Mines Rescue Unit – I’ve been unable to find any more details other than it obviously being a winch of some nature, so it’s very approximate, but something a bit different! I need to sort some transfers and wing mirrors, but otherwise it’s almost done:
I don’t think there’s a huge amount more to update on – BWS is next out on the road on the 15th February at Tonbridge I really need to sort a few more bits for it before then, so need to keep inspired!