Distressing the Diagram 108 (and 9!)

Well, a very productive weekend draws to a close, and we have taken advantage of the good weather by building Oly a shed, thereby freeing up his old shed to become a modelling ‘den’ and also having a first go at some ‘proper’ weathering for the humble 16T mineral wagon.

On the wagon front, the candidates selected for initial experimentation were a RTR Bachmann dia 108 vehicle, a similar example from the ancient Airfix kit, and a dia. 109 example with riveted sides, built from the Parkside kit.

Techniques and inspiration came largely courtesy of Ian Fleming’s Windcutter workbench, links to Ian’s blog can be found here and his workbench on Modellers United here. For anyone interested in the history of these fascinating wagons, and notes on the variety within a fleet which ran to hundreds of thousands, there are some really interesting pages on Ian’s blog which I would recommend reading…..

So with an al-fresco workbench set up and Sheryl looking really enthusiastic, we got to work:

16T 003 (Large)

First up, the Parkside rivetted body example. This had previously been weathered using the salt technique, but still remained pretty clean. Oly built rust up on this one mainly using dry brush techniques, using a selection of different shades of brown to give the rust some texture. Finally, a dirty wash was applied to bring it all together:

16T 006 (Large)

16T 007 (Large)

Similar techniques were used for the Airfix model, although this was distressed further than that above, but using the same techniques:

16T 008 (Large)

The Bachmann model was first treated to a repaint from factory grey, which is too dark, using Phoenix Precisions BR freight grey. As the model features brake shoes on both sides of the model and no top flap doors, I wanted to model it as a recently replated example. The upper sections of bodyside were treated to a mixture of browns, then a layer of Humbrol Maskol, before the whole body was painted. On peeling the maskol off, the chipped old paintwork of the original body is left to show behind the newly painted plated sections. A narrow bead of lighter coloured rust hints at new rust starting to form along the weld line between new and old metalwork. After taking the photos I realised I am yet to fit a bodyside stripe so this is next on the to do list!

16T 009 (Large)

16T 010 (Large)

All these photos are cruel close ups really, and show all the bad bits much more than in reality, the old statement ‘the camera never lies’ is certainly the case here,,,,,

With these experiments carried out, we can now hone the techniques over the rest of the fleet – you can never have enough 16 tonners, and one of the joys is making each one subtly different from the next within a rake of otherwise very similar wagons.

On the shed front, the erection of a new shed at the bottom of the garden has meant work can start on first clearing out then insulating and lining the old shed by the house ready for modelling…… Here is Chris laying the base for the new shed to sit on (excuse the arse crack):

16T 001 (Large)

And here is the old shed, gleaming in its new coat of paint that Sheryl applied while we were creating havoc down the garden:

16T 002 (Large)

So not a bad weekend overall, I have decided to have a bit of a break from work on Waldo and concentrate on some wagons to keep things fresh, so hopefully some will emerge next month.

Chris

 

Advertisements

One thought on “Distressing the Diagram 108 (and 9!)

  1. Thanks for the namecheck Chris, glad you found the info useful.

    As you say, the camera can be cruel and some of my own vehicles scare me close up! One thing you might want to try sometime is rubbing down any coarse bits with a rubbing stick (I use tiny bits of wet ‘n’ dry stuck to small lolly sticks). Done carefully, and with a small amount of water mopped up with the ever-useful cotton bud, it can actually introduce further subtle highlights, and if it takes a tad too much off, you just touch it in again with a tiny amount of paint.

    As for the white stripes, yes, that one will look odd without it, but if you do any with the reverse effect (i.e. rust on the new panels rather than fresh paint), it’s not unusual for it to have disappeared (or never been applied), just leaving the part on the old platework visible, viz:

    http://paulbartlett.zenfolio.com/brmineralweld/h2e5d533f#h2e5d533f

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s