Last week saw the first shipment of Bachmann’s latest product, the English Electric Type 4, arrive into model shops across the country – and having pre-ordered an example from that famed Liverpool based box shifter, mine was duly delivered on Thursday.
Having removed the model from the box it is immediately apparent this loco is in a completely different league to all previous attempts by Joeff, Lima and Bachmann. Although (regrettably) I never got to see the big EE’s in traffic it captures the look of the prototype to me…….
In a bit more detail:
As I ‘walked’ around the loco the first thing catching my eye was the quality of the glazing, as can be seen it is an almost perfectly flush fit, a far cry from many other models out there….
Being fussy, the light grey material used for the chassis block being visible through the engine room windows isn’t as amazing, although obviously a 5 minute job to fix using something called a paint brush….
Roof detail is commendably fine, with a good selection of fine rivet detail on show.
Cab detailing is sensible, enough for you to know its there without going overboard as used to be the case with items coming out of red boxes….
My only other thought was that the bogie detailing was possibly a bit on the shallow side? Not on a level that I can’t live with though…
Oh and it runs like a dream as well!
But I thought you modelled the transition era, what use is this?
Obviously it would be rude not to pull a model apart as soon as you get hold of it, theres no modelling involved in opening a box!
Lets get the tools out then…..
First job was to fit some screw link couplings. The bogies follow standard Bachmann practice and clip on from the rear – having removed the sideframes and with the tension locks out the way, I decided to leave the NEM socket in place on the basis its not exactly obtrusive, especially with a coupling chain in front of it……
The powertrain is the standard setup with cardan shafts driving all axles by way of nylon gears.
Inside the body lie a myriad of circuit boards for operating all the functions that we don’t need. Interestingly contacts are in place by he fan presumably for DCC sound fitted versions.
Now obviously the model needed backdating to something a bit more 1970/71. Having removed the headcode surrounds using a finger, it was neccessary to access the rear of the blinds to remove the glass. On first inspection there were no obvious clues on how to get in:
Further investigation confirmed removal of the nose was required…. My method of doing this involved a precision adjusting device (hammer) and a small drift, to push out the 4 lugs holding the nose to the body. the headcode glass can then be pushed out of the body and the dominoes removed with polish. One nose:
With that done and some new blinds in place, a secondman was added in the cab, 1971 being well before single man working was introduced.
Finally, a quick renumbering session took place, I opted to go for 342 on one side and 326 on t’other, 2 locos for the price of one and it will never be seen from both sides at the same time so why not.
With some nice heavy freight headcodes wound up courtesy of Precision Labels she looks much better, next job is to paint the chassis block and give her a couple of layers of grime….. Oh an possibly re-gauge to EM.
So there we have it, another top quality offering from the boys and girls at Barwell that leaves all previous attempts at the loco in the shadows. After an afternoons work I am left with a unique model that looks noticeably different from what I started with, Happy modelling!