Last week in the lead up to the East Anglian Model Railway show at Huntingdon I had a bit of a push on getting some more 16 tonners complete.
Here we see the latest four to emerge from the weathering workshop, awaiting their end door stripe.
Overall I am really pleased with how these have come out, although I’ve just realised these are afflicted by the same reverse brake linkage issue as Tom Foster’s latest project seen over on his TF Modelling blog. Something to sort out at some point as that will bug me now!
You may notice these are a bit cleaner than most of my wagons, that being because they are intended to appear on Andy Jones’ Herstmonceux‘ layout, which is set in the early – mid 50’s…. I’m sure they’re probably still a bit ropey, especially for the early 50’s but they feel right to me, and can also be put into service in my early 1970’s period without looking completely unreasonable…
The rust on these was achieved using a mix of black/dark grey and rust coloured acrylics, either from Revell or Tamiya. These were applied in small quantities over a rough coat of Revell no 76, which, among plenty of others, I feel is the best representation of BR unfitted grey. Rather than working from a prototype photo, I went with what looked right to me, and as a result could complete the job reasonably quickly (around 2 1/2 hours at the local club one evening saw all four done.) smaller scrapes and scratched were then added with a rustier shade and a fine brush prior to numbering, using Modelmaster transfers.
These wagons will appear as part of a rake of 15, trundling between the Kent coalfield and Brighton. As such I needed to think of a way of making a removable load, something most of my wagons lack at the moment! An evening with some foam board, black paint and crushed real coal resulted in some removable loads being completed – experience of operating them has revealed a need for a magnet to aid removal though!