As mentioned previously some models seem to enjoy being worked on, the previous workbench favourite the Peckett was a dream to work on. The DJM Austerity has been a crash back to reality. Its fought every single bloody bit of modelling done to it and still refuses to behave.
Now I hate doing handrails. They are the work of the devil. On an Austerity its a pretty simple affair, on pulling out the handrail knobs everyone of them snapped at the shoulder. This was the first job I did. I had to drill out every broken knob. I am still get rage thinking about it.
Then the bloody magnetic smokebox door. On first pass this seems a great idea. Until you realise motor access is three screws away, its an uneeded luxury that when you want to add a Giesl injector and have a decent flush face becomes a sodding nightmare.
And the three screws should be easy to get out if they had not been tightened by a terminator and made with metal forged in a chocolate factory.
If this is beginning to sound like a rant it is probably because it is. I am feeling better sharing my frustrations already.
Its a bit like when you buy a house, looks can be deceptive until you start peeling back the wallpaper. Just ask Chris.
The next mess up is my fault. The RT etch comes with a Giesl blanking plate for the smokebox front. Perfect. Problem was I was modelling the Austerity now because I felt I had to not because I wanted to. So I cut out the Giesl recess without first checking the size of the blanking plate. The result? A gap too big. Obviously.
After forgetting to get some more Swan Mortons and trying to create a new plate out of Plastikard with a butter knife I decided to try and do what I have wanted to do in a while and bodge the Giesel recess sans blanking plate. It meant more modelling and it needs a bit of finesse but I am happy with it.
So here she is primer, mods are:
- Door Dart
- Giesl and recess
- Random hole filling
- Cab spectacles
- Mould lines carved off
- Cab coal hatch
I think that is it. You will notice in the photos the utter b*stards smokebox door is still not sat right. This will take more work. I tried to glue it flush with the saddle’s sides but this makes it too narrow for the chassis. By its very nature of it having to come off means it has to be smaller than the apature. I have experimented with removing some of the chassis plastic. More work needed.
I might have to leave it in a box for 12 weeks to let our relationship renew.