Don’t panic, I’m not going to try and master the English language by debating the correct plural for a Janus, but it does leave a minor dilemma when you’re dealing with them in multiple!
Anyhow, the announcement a while back that Oxford Rail were planning to produce a Janus diesel cane as very welcome news here at OTCM towers, we are big fans of the class and, as probably the most typical steelworks loco going, I was on the verge of commissioning someone to build a couple from the rather excellent Judith Edge kit. We don’t normally do chequebook modelling here but I’ve done etched brass kits, and, while they look OK I get zero pleasure from building them and someone else can do a much better job so I’d rather focus on being able to spend my time building something I actually enjoy…
The Oxford Rail model has been reviewed several times online already, so I won’t bore you all with another one. Readers could do far worse than peruse James Wells’ review on his West Halton Sidings blog for a comparison between the Judith Edge and Oxford models.
I was lucky enough to pick 2 returned models up with a big chunk knocked from the RRP for no real reason other than a few minor cosmetic blemishes… this was of little bother to me as I wanted to repaint mine while doing minimal modifications, the only real one being the filling of the hole in the bufferbeams.
As mine are intended to go into use at a coking plant first, with likely future use on a layout based around a steelworks, I decided to use the same shade of green I’d previously finished my Sentinels in – Vauxhall Leaf Green. If the M.D. of Halfords happens to read this blog (and I’m sure they do) please keep supplying your range of 80’s car paint aerosols, cars are definitely still painted in such awful shades!
Inspiration was gleaned from Orgreave Coking Plant near Sheffield, where locos wearing a darker green shade worked Like this and from the Scunthorpe area, this abandoned loco at Flixborough Wharf by Gordon Edgar being a Stunner
Having left the locos on the side for ages, this weekends trip to Holland and Oly wanting to run some British Steel Traction on Six Quarters (the Lowca Light Railway was a joint NCB/BSC operation in its later years…) I finally got my arse into gear and cracked on a couple of weeks ago. The body splits into 3 parts (cab, bonnets and footplate) which make it easy to spray and work on, and fill the bufferbeams.
At this stage I got distracted from the original spec and decided some new buffers would look good on one, so some RT Models examples I had in stock were duly fitted.
After a coat of paint, weathering and reassembly, I am quite happy with how my pair have turned out:
Next job after our jaunt to Holland will be to replace the plastic handrails temporarily refitted with some soldered up from 0.45mm brass.
So thanks to Oxford and Golden Valley for saving me a lot of time (or money paying someone to build them for me) allowing me to crack on with various other projects in the kit draw!