BWS Update 10: Taking a Break

Throughout the BWS saga, I’ve always set myself a vague target of Getting the layout to a state where it could be classed as ‘essentially complete’ by the time I went away for a couple of weeks in Mid March. This would then mean should something amazing happen and I got an invite to Railex, I would have around 2 months for finishing off, adding extra detail, checking everything worked to a good standard and wiring up the OHLE (last job on the to do list.)

As the title implies, I’ve now reached that point so it seems a good opportunity to review how things have gone…

Scenery wise, the bulk of the layout is now treated, although as ever some further variation in colour and texture would benefit some areas.

I’ve also been adding further detail at the back, although this signal still needs bedding in the surrounding area is bearing more overgrowth as things progress.

The trees at the right hand end of the layout need a little further painting and dry brushing to bring out some more texture but look good. I also need to paint the buffer stops in a faded and filthy red, providing this doesn’t detract from the scene as a whole.

I’ve made a start on building cassettes and the connectors are ready to be attached to the layout so I can finish up around them – this will be the first job when I get back and is probably the only bit I’m not quite as far along as I’d like to be with.

Oly has built a signal box for the layout, which looks nice in place. To use an industry buzz word we all despise that was some good cross operator collaborative working! Once the cassettes are working I can finish colouring and texturing the coal yard and bed in the box, which shouldn’t take too long.

Finally, to stop Oly asking I posed some locos and stock on the layout, something I’ve avoided too much up until now:

Back in a couple of weeks…

Cheers

Chris

Advertisements

4 thoughts on “BWS Update 10: Taking a Break

  1. Chris, I think you will have a problem with the male/female sockets only having one fixing point. They will twist all over the joint. At the very lease put a pin coming out their bottom at the front end?

  2. I’ve been following this project from the start, and am regularly inspired by it.

    I do have one question about an aspect that I can’t figure out by looking at the photos. What did you use for sub-ballast? It appears that you have used some kind of putty or plaster to make your ties appear sunken. I’m currently working with Peco code 80, so my ties are very tall and I’m looking for a good method to “bury” them.

    1. Hi Aaron.
      Pleased to hear we are inspiring you!
      There is no sub ballast on the layout – the lines to the rear only have thin sleepers (C&L) but are ballasted conventionally using Woodland Scenics fine ash ballast.
      The lines at the front of the layout have been buried in DAS modelling clay, which was textured by stippling with a hard brush one put into position. This was then painted with a couple of washes of black acrylic paint before finally I added some weathering powder to add some more texture and depth.
      The DAS is time consuming but the end result looks good!
      Chris

      1. Thanks! I’ve heard that DAS works well for this kind of thing—Chris Nevard had used it for some nice effects—and it looks like you got excellent results, too! I will keep this in mind—sinking the ties is probably next on my to-do list.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s